Where it all began
The ethos behind Yorkshire Lobster Company and its brand is to provide the highest quality, responsibly caught lobster. The lobster is caught using centuries old sustainable fishing methods in UK waters off the Yorkshire coast by professional fishermen all operating from the ancient port of Scarborough on the Yorkshire coastline.
Our lobsters all caught by local full time fishermen who take a great pride by ensuring the daily catch remains in its optimum condition until such time it reaches port where its placed in the hands of the Yorkshire Lobster Company who continue to strive with the process of ensuring that the lobster remains in peak condition until it arrives with the restaurant of your choice.
'A tribute to the original Capernaum which was tragically lost back in 1894.’
A Scarborough fishing boat owner has had his vessel renamed and repainted to comply with new legislation laid down by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Bob Roberts has changed the boat’s name from Gannet PD.989 to Capernaum SH.4 – a name which was inspired by a wreck report about a Scarborough vessel, dating back to 1894.
The Polynesian was a British sailing ship, of Glasgow, and the Capernaum was a Scarborough fishing smack.
The court heard that the Polynesian was at fault during the incident, which resulted in the loss of the Capernaum and all five people on board. The sailing ship’s master, Thomas Ludgate, and chief officer, Andrew Robertson, were suspended for nine months and three months respectively.
The report states that the Capernaum – official number 28,880 – was a British yawlrigged fishing vessel, built of wood in 1861 at Scarborough, at which port she was registered.
The vessel was 57.1ft long by 18.1ft wide, with a hold depth of 7.15ft and her tonnage was 37.59. She was owned and managed by Richard Williamson Harrison, of Scarborough.
Her sails were tanned and she had white cloth in the after leach of her mainsail. She was painted green forward (whiskers) with a narrow yellow beading all round her, just above the deck line.
She had a stump foremast and her mizenmast had a pole top. Her main topsail was set on a yard which was in a line with the mast.
According to the report, the Capernaum left Scarborough on May 22, 1894, to fish on the edge of Dogger Bank, under the command of George Blogg with four other hands, namely Gardiner Warman, William Appleby, Robert Appleby and J. Bullimore.
Mr Roberts explained that the Appleby’s were distant relations of his and added that the skipper, George Blogg, was married to Robert Appleby’s sister, so was part of the same family.
He said: “There are lots of Old Town families with similar stories, hence the interest in a memorial of sorts.”
The report stated: “The loss of life was attributable to the Polynesian, having, after she had come into collision with the Capernaum, ran clean over her with such rapidity that those on board the latter vessel had no opportunity of making any effort to save their own lives.”